Saturday, June 20, 2009

Envy

Envy: a painful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage

Where does it come from? Why does it pop up from time to time? How do I make it stop?

I am very content in my life. I have a beautiful home, I am surrounded by wonderful friends and family, I have more "things" then I know what to do with. I have never known what it is like to be homeless, hungry, cold or to really know what is like to go without something I want. I am extremely lucky and grateful for that.

So why when I hear a friend or colleague scheduling a trip to Ireland, buying a new boat, renovating their house do I feel that little bit of pain? I am truly happy for them in their success and enjoyment and at the same time I start to wonder why can't I do that? Why can't I have that? What are we doing wrong that we need to make restrictions and hold back? I then of course get frustrated with myself because I know I have no reason to be envious. I wish there was a way to delete the feeling envy from my mind. I know deep down that I have an amazing life.

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment