Monday, June 8, 2009

Consciously Incompetent

I'm a smart person. I am good at what I do. At work, I am one of the people that someone comes to for the answers and most of the time - I have the answers or know who/where to send them to get the answers. I am comfortable with this and I like it.

I spent this weekend in my 1st weekend of yoga teacher training. To be faced with the challenge of learning something knew is exhilarating and at the same time terrifying. At times, it was a very unsettling experience. To realize that I don't know the answers. I don't know where to begin or where I am trying to go. I don't even know the questions to ask. Can you say FRUSTRATION! This is not me - I have the answers, I know my stuff!

When learning something new there are 4 stages we go through. Each stage generates different emotions and fears.
  • unconsciously incompetent - you don't know what you don't know
  • consciously incompetent - you know you don't know
  • consciously competent - you know you know
  • unconsciously competent - you don't know you know
I am currently consciously (and unconsciously) incompetent as a yoga teacher in training. The emotions that this stage brings up are ones I don't experience on a regular basis (and prefer to avoid). I am contemplating things I haven't in many years. A truly humbling experience. As I go through this process I am sure that I will progress through the stages. I am looking forward to experiencing these different emotions and stages. It is all part of the journey.

1 comment:

  1. oh my dear, you are always unconsciously competent. just let it unfold!

    ReplyDelete