Saturday, July 11, 2009

So many things, so little time

There are so many things I want to do. So many things I want to learn and be good at. How do you decide what takes priority? How do you decide what to focus on?

When learning something new there is a certain amount of time and energy that needs to be put into it to get past the awkward "I suck at it" stage. I tried skiing a number of years ago and gave up - it was SO much work. I was never able to get past the awkward stage to make it enjoyable. It was always an enormous effort with frustration that left me feeling worse about myself and not better. You need to be able to invest enough time and effort to get past that stage so you can truly enjoy.

I have many interests that I really would like to spend more time on. I would love to resume my photography and drawing, learn how to salsa, learn more about wine, spend more time cooking, learn to make pasta from scratch, make more breads from scratch, develop my yoga practice further, knit more often and more complex projects, learn how to throw clay, learn to be fluent in Spanish, read more books and on and on and on. There is so much and I feel like there is never enough time. In order to concentrate on one and be more proficient I need to give up something else (even if only for a little while.)

I feel like there is never enough time. I always have to compromise - really it feels like sacrifice or giving up something. How do I make it work? How do I find the balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment